Sustainable Australia | Policies
An independent community party from the sensible centre, we have a positive plan to secure an economically, environmentally and socially sustainable Australia. To meet our aims, we have developed a comprehensive policy platform, including four major policy priorities:
With a sustainable environment and significantly reduced population growth pressures, you can simultaneously achieve affordable housing (due to less demand) and better planning (to stop overdevelopment)...
Economically, this would also help to achieve secure jobs via a more diverse economy. Why? We'd be transferring much more of our scarce economic (over)investment away from housing speculation, back into our factories, farms and small businesses.
Importantly, economic diversity is our strength.
Video - 'Big 4' Policy summary
> Policy highlights
- Re-diversify our economy - by re-allocating economic capital away from over-investment in housing, back into our factories, farms and small businesses
- Better invest in education and skills training for local workers
- Stop the privatisation of natural monopolies
- Reduce population growth pressures - by lowering immigration from a record 200,000+p.a. back to the long term average of 70,000
- Review and renegotiate all trade agreements to ensure fair trade with a level playing field
- Re-invest in regional and rural Australia
- Stop foreign ownership of housing, land, water and natural resources
- Increase investment in public housing
- Ensure greater renters’ rights
- Return real planning power to local communities
- Deliver new local community infrastructure before more housing
- Prioritise public transport funding over new tollways
- Properly address climate change
- Support more investment in renewable energy
- Better manage our water security
- Reduce waste production
- Establish major community product repair and recycle centres
- Increase conservation management funding and employment
- Better protect animal habitats from housing developments and land clearing
- Adopt a properly enforced national biodiversity and native species program
- Moratorium on all fracking and new coal mines
- Develop greater employment opportunities and cultural recognition for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Establish an independent federal commission against corruption
- Enable citizen initiated referenda or plebiscites to give the people a proper say on important issues like euthanasia, republic, etc
In summary - an economically, environmentally and socially sustainable Australia. A nation that is democratically governed for the people, not vested interests. Full details below.
If you largely agree, please join.
National policy platform (20+ sections):
Our policy priorities, and much more, are detailed in our broad policy platform below. For issues outside of our policy platform, see our statement at the bottom of this page.
STATEMENT REGARDING OTHER POLICIES OUTSIDE OF OUR PLATFORM:
As a minor party with limited resources, we do not have policies on everything. Issues outside of our broad policy platform would be addressed on their merits if elected, in an evidence-based way with proper stakeholder engagement.
Authorised by William Bourke for Sustainable Australia, Sydney, NSW.