LAW & ORDER
Australia should provide for the security of its citizens, while maintaining respect for privacy.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Australia should:
- Increase police recruitment and resources in order to better protect our communities and properly cater for population growth.
- Provide appropriate legislative power and resources to detect and prevent terrorist attacks before they occur.
- Adopt strong counter-radicalisation strategies, to help prevent religious and political extremism.
- Include sunset clauses on all national security legislation requiring re-passage of legislation after ten (10) years.
- Ensure the reasonable privacy and rights of citizens to freedom of speech, movement, religion, commerce, employment, internet usage and association, and protect ordinary Australians from abuse by governments and businesses.
- Prevent firearm violence, including via best practice firearms registration systems.(1)
- SAP has no plans to change gun laws but relevant legislation would be addressed on its merits if elected, in an evidence-based way after careful stakeholder engagement.