- Jobs & Economy
Significantly reduce Australia's waste production, and increase its recycling and energy recovery through a circular economy.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Sustainable Australia Party will:
- Achieving better product design and standards to reduce materials usage, and improve warranties, longevity, repairability, re-usability and recycling capacity.
"At least $10bn (£7.9bn) worth of gold, platinum and other precious metals are dumped every year in the growing mountain of electronic waste that is polluting the planet..." The Guardian
- Establishing a national 'sustainable design and development' centre of excellence, with public-private partnership funding.
- Supporting major community centres dedicated to the repair, re-sale and responsible recycling of electronic waste and household goods.
- Providing widely available container deposit schemes.
- Adopting a national battery recycling scheme.
- Lower population growth.
"Until recently, the landfill site, located in a quarry, was receiving about 500,000 tonnes of rubbish a year...within the next decade it will receive 1 million tonnes of rubbish a year." The Age
Subscribe to our eNewsletter here.