Prioritise the most ecologically sustainable and congestion-free public and private transport systems.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Sustainable Australia Party will:
- Expand state-based rail and bus networks, in preference to building more roads.(1)
- Encourage transport sharing schemes including cars.
- Build better bicycle networks.
- Upgrade its freight rail infrastructure in order to boost national productivity and help remove truck journeys from our roads.
- Fully assess interstate high speed train opportunities. Importantly, this should be based on a relatively stable national population scenario.
- Not build further major capital city airports (including Western Sydney Airport at Badgery's Creek).
- Reduce population pressures (mainly) by lowering immigration from a record 200,000+ p.a. back to the long term average of 70,000 (also see SUSTAINABLE POPULATION - AUSTRALIA policy).(2)
- Conduct an enquiry into the feasibility of a majority Australian-owned energy efficient car company. An initial objective would include the potential mass production, for Australia and potential export, of a small-to-medium utilitarian electric commuter car for urban use. This would be supported by an appropriate charging network. Tenders could be sought for use of the Ford, Holden or Toyota plant(s), with public-private partnership funding.
- Transport projects including light rail should not use population growth and related urban property development infill modelling to underpin business cases, as the new residents undermine gains in per capita service delivery.
- Reducing population growth pressures combined with providing better public transport will relieve road congestion.
Sign up to our eNewsletter today: CLICK HERE