Provide an affordable, world class education system that gives all Australians the skills and attributes they need to secure jobs and flourish in society.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Sustainable Australia Party will:
- Better link education outcomes to contemporary secure job opportunities and employer needs.
- Provide access to affordable and reliable child care and early childhood education, where needed.
- Maintain, and where needed increase, funding for public schools.
- Prioritise needs-based education funding as well as teacher and principal quality across the primary and secondary education system.
- Encourage small class sizes in order to better enable teachers to help all students achieve their potential.
- Maintain and enhance comprehensive sustainability and environmental education programs in school curricula.
- Reduce all current HECS debts by 50 per cent.
- Reduce all TAFE and university tertiary education fees by 50 per cent.
- Offer free tertiary education in approved TAFE and university science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) courses.
- Better invest in university and institutional science and technology research and development to enhance Australia’s creativity, innovation and productivity.
- Restore proper funding to universities in order to compensate for decreases in both education fees (above) and international student demand aligned to immigration objectives.(1)
- Encouraging international students whose main intention is immigration is a false economy with grossly overstated 'export' benefits and brings serious corruption issues. A full enquiry into all aspects of Australia’s record high immigration programme is required, including infrastructure, youth unemployment and environmental costs. See SUSTAINABLE POPULATION & IMMIGRATION – AUSTRALIA policy.