- Privatisation & Public Assets
Develop an energy supply that is smart, affordable, reliable, safe and environmentally sustainable.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Sustainable Australia Party will:
- Empower Australian consumers to manage and reduce their energy use through the provision of consumer-friendly smart meters providing real time energy usage information.
- Progress towards using a predominantly renewable energy supply (also see Environment policy)
- Fund and subsidise research and development into renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency initiatives (also see Environment policy).
- Empower Australian consumers to choose and use distributed (non-centralised) energy systems including solar photovoltaic (PV), micro wind and ground source heat pumps, supported by battery storage.
- Fully assess pumped hydroelectric energy storage opportunities.
"Australia has more than 22,000 sites around the country that could be suitable for pumped hydro storage." SMH
- Impose a moratorium on all new coal mines in Australia.
- Impose a moratorium on all new fracking, including for coal seam gas, until a thorough and independent review of fugitive emissions and groundwater contamination is completed.
- Implement domestic energy reservation policies for relevant resources, including natural gas (also see Environment policy).
"Australia has been 'uniquely stupid' in allowing companies to dig up resources that belong to the Australian people and sell it overseas, without even ensuring there would be enough gas to cover our own use." News.com.au
- Aspire towards a future without domestic nuclear power, whilst engaging in responsible management of Australian-generated low and intermediate-level medical etc radioactive waste.
- Consider all baseload energy production options to help deliver our climate policy targets and ultimately a 21st century emissions-free Australian energy supply (also see Environment policy).
- Lower population growth.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter here.