Develop an energy supply that is smart, affordable, reliable, safe and environmentally sustainable.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Sustainable Australia Party will:
- Empower Australian consumers to manage and reduce their energy use through the provision of consumer-friendly smart meters providing real time energy usage information.
- Progress towards using a predominantly renewable energy supply (see ENVIRONMENT policy).
- Fund and subsidise research and development into renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency initiatives (see ENVIRONMENT policy).
- Empower Australian consumers to choose and use distributed (non-centralised) energy systems including solar photovoltaic (PV), micro wind and ground source heat pumps, supported by battery storage.
- Fully assess pumped hydroelectric energy storage opportunities.
- Implement domestic energy reservation policies for relevant resources, including natural gas (see ENVIRONMENT policy).
- Impose a moratorium on all new coal mines in Australia.
- Impose a moratorium on all new fracking, including for coal seam gas, until a thorough and independent review of fugitive emissions and groundwater contamination is completed.
- Aspire towards a future without domestic nuclear power, whilst engaging in responsible management of Australian-generated low and intermediate-level medical etc radioactive waste.
- Consider all baseload energy production options to help deliver our climate policy targets and ultimately a 21st century emissions-free Australian energy supply (see ENVIRONMENT policy).
- Lower population growth.
- Also see ENVIRONMENT (for renewable energy targets and investment, and finite and non-renewable resource use) and SUSTAINABLE POPULATION – AUSTRALIA policies.
Sign up to our eNewsletter today: CLICK HERE