Sustainable Australia Party is an independent community movement from the political centre, with a positive plan for an economically, environmentally and socially sustainable Australia. SAP supports a science and evidence-based approach to policy - not a left or right wing ideology.
SAP is campaigning to:
- Protect our environment
- Stop overdevelopment
- Stop corruption
There's also much more in our broad policy platform.
William Bourke for North Sydney Council
William is the founder and president of Sustainable Australia Party.
William enjoys nature, bushwalking, beaches, running and travelling. He grew up on the urban fringe with bushland as his extended backyard and weekend recreation. He wants to ensure that we fulfil our primary moral responsibility to pass on an economically, environmentally and socially sustainable Australia to our children and grandchildren.
He is equally concerned about economic, environmental and social issues. Particular concerns include the decline of Australian manufacturing and economic diversity, the destruction of our natural and built environments, and the housing affordability crisis locking many out of the great Australian dream.
William has completed a bachelor of business (accounting and finance) and master of business (marketing). He has extensive business experience including as a partner in a marketing small business for over 10 years, and previous experience in accounting and government communications. He has travelled widely including in Asia, North America and Europe, and lived in a number of places in Australia including Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and North Queensland.
William believes that in order to transition to a sustainable future, a holistic approach to sustainability is required that includes action to address growth in both natural resource consumption and population.
After hearing Labor's Kevin Rudd declare his support for "a big Australia" population of 40 million - and being shocked to discover that the Liberal and Greens parties also support rapid population growth - he decided it was time to get involved in politics and start a new centrist, mainstream political party that put sustainability at the heart of decision-making.
Video - Coming soon
Campaign issues and policies
In the 2021 North Sydney Council election by-election, William and Sustainable Australia Party are campaigning to protect our environment, stop overdevelopment and stop corruption:
Protect our environment
- Adopt a properly enforced biodiversity and native species program including widespread land and marine animal habitat protection
- Stronger laws to prevent inappropriate land and tree-clearing
- Significantly reduce North Sydney's waste production, and increase its recycling and energy recovery through a circular economy
- Invest more in environmental education and the protection, maintenance and ecological restoration of the local natural environment
- More coming soon...
- Return real planning power to local communities through proper engagement, including through local community citizen juries
- Reject the state government's housing targets and determine new targets through proper local community consultation
- Deliver new community infrastructure before more housing is approved (including new schools, hospitals, public transport, roads, recreational and sporting facilities, green space, etc)
- Ensure that planning and zoning changes adhere to relevant environmental and heritage regulations
- Ensure that new and existing homes and associated landscapes adapt to latest innovations in thermal and water efficiency and ecological design, including north facing, effective insulation, solar panels and water tanks
- More coming soon...
- Adopt more transparent reporting of political lobbying and all financial contributions, including the requirement for politicians to declare any time they spend with registered lobbyists and property developers
- Campaign to ban all property developer donations and contributions to political parties and candidates (including at federal level, which can sometimes be used to support state or local government candidates)
- More coming soon...
And much more...
SAP's full policy platform can be found here:
Please donate to William's campaign: Coming soon...
If you'd like to help letterbox or staff an early voting or election day voting centre, please contact us.
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 0477 427 905
> Social media
- Facebook: SAP for North Sydney Council
- Twitter: @William_Bourke
- Instagram: votesustainable
- YouTube: votesustainable
Do you live in or near the North Sydney Council electorate? If so, we'll send you some flyers to letterbox.
Please contact us ASAP.
Important: SAP volunteer and voting centre behaviour guidelines HERE
Early Voting Centres / Election day Voting Centres
See: Coming soon...
Polling day - 4 September 2021