At the outset, it is important to dispel the myth that the big threat to the sustainability of our health system is population ageing.
"The ageing population will not cause a collapse of the healthcare system because it is not the primary cause of increased health costs." The Guardian
Achieve a healthy and long living Australian population, supported by a health system that is innovative, accessible, affordable and sustainable.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Sustainable Australia Party will:
- Better promote preventative health care through healthier lifestyle choices, including:
- Appropriate food and beverage choices, particularly at primary and secondary schools;
- A national physical activity plan promoting and supporting regular exercise including accessible community-led sporting groups;
- A ban on junk and high sugar content food and beverage advertising to children during children’s television viewing hours;(1)
"The Australian government is “lagging behind” other countries when it comes to restricting junk food marketing, taxing unhealthy foods and labelling." The New Daily
- Proper government assessment of appropriate dietary requirements and intakes including sugar levels;
- An excise on products containing high levels of sugar, with the revenue raised from such a sugar excise to be directed to subsidising appropriate fresh fruit and vegetables, and funding public health awareness campaigns and anti-obesity health care;
- Affordable access to primary health care.
- Provide universal access to free contraception and reproductive health advice.
- Properly review the health care system to identify and eliminate waste and mismanagement.
- Better invest in medical and nursing training as well as scientific research and cost-effective medical technology in order to bring down the cost of healthcare.(2)
- Better resource mental health services, including hospital and community-based preventative care, assessment and support services.
- Roll out the NDIS with efficiency and priority for Australia’s high-needs individuals and families.
- Treat personal drug use (and abuse) as primarily a health issue and, where required, support users with well-funded rehabilitation programs.
- Support scientifically proven quality 'natural' or 'alternative' health care.
- Increase immunisation coverage to help prevent diseases.(3)
- Children’s viewing hours are Mon-Fri 7:00-8:00, 16:00-20:30, Sat-Sun 7:00-20:30. NB: 91% are concerned about TV food ads directed at children: Coalition on Food Advertising to Children research.
- We know from successive Federal Treasury studies that the ever-rising cost of healthcare - caused not so much by the ageing of the population as by the ever-rising cost of advances in medical technology - is the greatest reason for the projected increase in budget deficits.
- SAP has no plans to change vaccination laws. Relevant legislation would be addressed on its merits if elected, in an evidence-based way after careful stakeholder engagement.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter here.