Sustainable Australia is an independent party from the political centre, with a positive agenda to secure an economically, environmentally and socially sustainable Australia.
To meet our aims, we have developed a comprehensive policy platform, including the following policy priorities:
- Secure jobs
- Affordable housing
- Better planning
- A sustainable environment and population
Sustainable Australia is federally registered. We are also registered for State/Territory and Local Government elections in the ACT, NSW & VIC. This will be followed by other states in 2019/20+.
> NSW Election (23 March 2019)
Our NSW election campaign will mainly be Upper House-focused. The Upper House ballot paper covers the whole state, meaning every NSW voter will receive the same ballot paper including the opportunity to vote for Sustainable Australia.
- Legislative Council (Upper House - requires a minimum of 15 candidates to be grouped in order to achieve a box above the line with our party name)
- Legislative Assembly (Lower House local seat)
Who can be a candidate in the NSW election?: Click here
> Federal election (TBC - likely May 2019)
- Senate (Upper House - all states and territories)
- House of Representatives (Lower House local seat - all states and territories)
Who can be a candidate in the federal election?: Click here
Successful candidates must be a member of our party and demonstrate:
- A commitment to our party core values: CLICK HERE
- A full understanding of our key messages and current (20+) policy suite: CLICK HERE
We also regard the following criteria as relevant:
- A demonstrated commitment to the party, including involvement in our grassroots campaign activities including monthly meet-ups
- Get involved here
- A full understanding of our policies, particularly our four key policy priorities
- Strong interpersonal and public communication skills
- The ability and discipline to communicate our key messages
- Local, state and/or national community involvement and/or profile
- Residence in, and/or a strong connection to, the electorate
- A positive and constructive attitude
- Ability to work well in a team
- A record of integrity and reliability
- Fundraising capacity including nomination fees
To express interest in candidature, please contact us by email through our website 'Contact Us' page (link at bottom).
In your initial contact, please nominate your State and/or Federal electorate preference(s) and summarise in under 200 words why you would be an appropriate candidate to represent Sustainable Australia. This initial review with our follow-up communication will determine whether you will progress to receiving our official application form.
You must be a member of our party (and no other party) before receiving the application form. Join here.
Contributions to costs
Minor parties require funding from candidates to help cover costs (Note: Some minor parties charge $1000 application fee and $20,000 in campaign costs).
Candidates are expected to contribute financially as follows:
- Candidate application fee - $250
- Election campaign contribution
- State election - $250 (Legislative Council candidate)
- Federal election - $2,500+ (including application fee) covers the generic package including standard letterbox flyers, corflute signs, t-shirts, how to vote cards, basic media training, nomination fee and HQ liaison throughout the campaign. Personalised campaign package including candidate-specific flyers and signage will be $5,000-$10,000.
Fundraising is an important political skill. Potential candidates can either self-fund, or seek funding online ('go fund me' website, social media, etc), family, friends, etc.
Candidates that achieve a primary vote of 4 per cent or more will have their nomination fee refunded.
200 word nomination EOI
Nominate yourself via an 'expression of interest' through the Contact Us page: CLICK HERE