Australia should significantly reduce its waste production and disposal, and increase its waste recycling and energy recovery.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Australia should:
- Achieve better product design and standards in order to reduce materials usage, and improve longevity, repairability, re-usability and recycling capacity.
- Achieve greater producer responsibility throughout product life cycles.
- Establish a national ‘sustainable design and development’ centre of excellence, with public-private partnership funding.
- Support major community centres dedicated to the repair, re-sale and responsible recycling of electronic waste and household goods, with public-private partnership funding.
- Provide widely available container deposit schemes.
- Encourage the recovery of embodied energy from appropriate low-risk waste while offsetting the use of non-renewable energy sources and avoiding methane emissions from landfill.
Sign up to our eNewsletter today: CLICK HERE