PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT
Australia’s town and urban planning should work to stop overdevelopment and be more transparent, egalitarian and ecologically sustainable.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Australia should:
- Allow more involvement and authority to local communities in regards to local planning processes.
- Preserve or plant corridors of biodiversity in accordance with fire regulations in any new development beyond the urban fringe, to both preserve wildlife and provide recreation opportunities for local residents.
- Where possible, ensure that new and existing homes and associated landscapes adapt to latest innovations in efficiency and ecological design, including north facing, effective insulation, solar panels and water tanks.
- Lower housing demand and construction to a more manageable level via a sustainable population policy with slower growth (also see related HOUSING AFFORDABILITY policy).
- Also see HOUSING AFFORDABILITY policy.
Sign up to our eNewsletter today: CLICK HERE