Australia should develop an energy supply that is smart, affordable, reliable, safe and environmentally sustainable.
Policy Methods (Federal & State)
To help achieve this Australia should:
- Progress rapidly towards using a predominantly renewable energy supply (see CLIMATE policy).
- Empower Australian consumers to choose and use distributed (non-centralised) energy systems including solar photovoltaic (PV), micro wind and ground source heat pumps, supported by battery storage.
- Empower Australian consumers to manage and reduce their energy use through the provision of consumer-friendly smart meters providing real time energy usage information.
- Impose a moratorium on all fracking, including for coal seam gas, until a thorough independent evaluation of fugitive emissions and groundwater contamination is completed.
- Aspire towards a future without nuclear power, whilst engaging in responsible management of Australian-generated low and intermediate-level medical etc radioactive waste.
- Consider all baseload energy production options to help deliver our climate policy targets and ultimately a 21st century emissions-free Australian energy supply (see CLIMATE policy).
- Also see CLIMATE policy.
Sign up to our eNewsletter today: CLICK HERE